with Keith Hodgson
Curriculum Topics to include:
- Conducting Patterns: To instruct each student in the correct beat patterns for various simple, compound, complex and changing meters, including subdivisions.
- Conducting Techniques: To instruct each student in proper conducting techniques, including preparatory and upbeats, attacks and releases, beat negation and beat melding, cuing, legato-marcato-staccato styles, variety of tempi (including accelerando, ritardando, fermata), dynamic control, independence and interdependence of both hands, nuances, body language, facial expression.
- Score Reading: 1. To instruct each student in the various types of scores, including 2 to 4 part choral, reduced score format for elementary-junior high-senior high school band, full band scores, orchestra, jazz band, and special instrumental scores. 2. To teach each student the proper method of score marking.
- Rehearsal Principles: To prepare each student in proper rehearsal procedures and methods for all types and levels of musicians ranging from elementary school band and chorus to professional orchestras, choruses, and studio work.
- Professionalism: To prepare each student for the professional world, creating an atmosphere of respect for the conductor, the student and peers.
- Ensemble set-up and Preparation: To instruct each student in the proper set-up for various ensembles including chorus, band, jazz band, orchestra, and other types of musical ensembles. To instruct each student in the necessary preparation for holding a successful rehearsal, including organization of music, folders, and advanced knowledge and preparation of musical scores.
- Lyrical Conducting: A focus on the music to be made BETWEEN the beats. An advanced conducting focus beyond patterns, beats, tempo and bar lines... a look at musical expression only to be found away from the structure of the written page.
- Conductor, Teacher, Leader: A study beyond the role of a conductor... but as a teacher and leader.
UARTS BASIC CONDUCTING CURRICULUM:
UARTS INSTRUMENTAL CURRICULUM: